Are you ready to participate in the biggest Model United Nations on behalf of the Erasmus University Rotterdam?
Are you interested in discussing global issues, courageous enough (or would like to be) to speech in front of hundreds of people, motivated to develop your diplomatic and negotiating skills and eager to participate in the largest Model United Nations in the world? Then we would like to invite you to apply to join our prestigious NMUN delegation!
Each year Cedo Nulli participates on behalf of the Erasmus University Rotterdam (EUR) in NMUN’s New York conference. Our highly motivated delegation will represent a UN Member State during the conference and interact with students from all over the world. Over the course of six months, students will hone their skills under the guidance of two experienced former delegates and numerous of prestigious guest speakers.
We are looking for EUR students from the Faculty of Social Sciences or Erasmus University College to join this once in a lifetime experience.
For this year we have two options. Whichever option is chosen completely depends on the developments surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic. The simulation will either be joined in real life in the great city of New York (if COVID-19 allows us to go) or online from an unknow destination within the Netherlands. Even if we will not be able to attend the conference, we as trainers will thus try to ensure that we still come together to attend the online conference as a team.
Preparations for the NMUN simulation consist of weekly trainings on Tuesday evenings. We will discuss topics like ‘what are the functions and powers of the UN’ and ‘how can we best represent our (yet unknown) Member State’? Acquiring practical skills in lobbying, negotiating, public speaking and resolution writing will form the largest part of the preparation process. These skills are extremely beneficial for any student within the Faculty of Social Sciences. Total costs, including trainings, travel, and stay, are € 700,- per delegate. These costs will be refunded if we will not attend the physical NMUN conference in New York. We might still charge a smaller fee for the trip within the Netherlands. There are many different factors influencing such possibilities. We will communicate such alterations regularly in a transparent fashion.
What are we looking for in a delegate?
- Ambition: the desire to achieve, both individually and as a group;
- Commitment: being well prepared for the trainings, willing to improve yourself every single week and open to receive (and accept) constructive criticism;
- Cooperation: the ability to work together, both in duos and as a group, and to build on each other’s ideas and benefiting from each other’s perspectives in an open way;
- Affinity with international politics / diplomacy / global issues.
How to apply?
1. Send us your motivation letter (max. 1 A4) and CV (max. 2 A4) to firstname.lastname@example.org before Wednesday 16 September 23:59h.
2. Based on what you have sent us, we will make a first selection. Selected candidates will participate in a simulation on either 21th or 22th or 23th September in the evening. Please keep these evenings free!
Do you still have questions about NMUN, or do you simply want to know more about the application process? Attend the NMUN Interest drink on Tuesday 8 September 2020 (location to be announced) from 19:00 - 21:00h! This way you can get to know the trainers and the board of S.F.V. Cedo Nulli!
Key dates and deadlines for your application
- 8 September (19:00 - 21:00h) - NMUN Interest Evening
- 16 September (latest 23:59h) - Submit Motivation Letter (max. 1 A4) and CV (max. 2 A4)
- 21, 22, and 23 September (evening) - Simulations (round 2)
- 29 September (19:00 - 22:30h) - First NMUN Training
Watch this short video about NMUN to get a glimpse of what you will experience during the conference.
See you soon!
The NMUN Trainers and Board Representatives of 2020/2021
Jim Thuring – Trainer
Rik Roosenstein – Trainer
Jet Schrijver – Board Representative
Josephine Kloes – Board Representative